Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons are specialists who treat conditions, defects, injuries, and aesthetic aspects of the face, head, neck, mouth and jaws. Their training includes a four-year graduate degree in dentistry and the completion of a minimum four-year hospital-based surgical residency program. The training is extensive with great attention being given to the facial aesthetics in regard to Orthognathic surgery, Reconstruction from trauma, and Facial cosmetic surgery.
- Before anesthesia
- After dental implant surgery
- After Wisdom Tooth Removal
- After Exposure of impacted tooth
- After Extraction(s)
Our practice has grown because of our patients’ kind referrals. We encourage you to recommend our office to your family and friends. We always have time to care for a new patient.
If your doctor has referred you, he or she will promptly receive a letter outlining our findings and the course of treatment. We encourage you to return to your referring doctor after our specialized care is complete.
Lead Surgical Assistant
The doctors’ professional staff is highly trained in assisting with surgery and the administration of General Anesthesia. Surgical patients are continuously monitored, using state-of-the-art equipment, before, during and after surgery. In addition to General Anesthesia, Intravenous Sedation, Oral Sedation and Nitrous Oxide Sedation are utilized to ensure a comfortable and pleasant surgical experience.
The surgical staff at Dr. Padgett‘s offices are certified by the American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons as qualified surgical and anesthesia assistants. To gain certification they successfully completed at least two years of formal training and participated in a one-year didactic program. After completing this program, they took and passed National Certification examination given by AAOMS. In addition all staff are CPR certified.
At this visit, your doctor will assess you needs and desires and discuss various treatment options. He will also review your expectations and the probable outcome of treatment. You may be shown several before and after photographs, but remember, results vary with individuals. Your doctor will provide literature for you to review at home and request you return at a later date to finalize the type of procedure you desire and schedule the surgery. At this time, before and after photographs may be taken of the area to document your results. For smaller procedures, a surgery date may be made at the initial visit.
Please assist us by providing the following information at the time of your consultation:
- Your surgical referral slip and any x-rays if applicable.
- A list of medications you are presently taking.
- If you have medical insurance, bring the necessary completed forms. This will save time and allow us to help you process any claims.
IMPORTANT: A parent or guardian must accompany all patients under 18 at the consultation visit.
A pre-operative consultation is mandatory for patients undergoing IV anesthesia for surgery. Please have nothing to eat or drink 6 hours prior to your surgery. You will also need an adult to drive you home.
Please alert the office if you have a medical condition that may be of concern prior to surgery (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, artificial heart valves and joints, rheumatic fever, etc.) or if you are on any medication (i.e. heart medications, aspirin, anticoagulant therapy, etc.)
If your physician has taken X-Rays, you may request that they forward them to our office. If there is not enough time, please pick them up and bring them to our office. If additional films are necessary, they can be taken at our facility.
In order to keep the cost of care to a minimum, immediate payment for services rendered is required. For your convenience, our office will file insurance. However, any co-payments and deductibles are due at the time of service. We accept cash, check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card, and American Express). In special circumstances, payment plans can be arranged. We welcome and encourage the discussion of fees.
Filing your claim:
Our financial secretary will be happy to discuss payment arrangements that will suit your needs. In order to contain billing cost we ask that all accounts be paid within 60 days from the date of service. If an account goes over 60 days a finance charge of 1.5% per month (18% per year) is added to the unpaid balance.
Your insurance contract is an agreement between you and your insurance carrier. You are, however, ultimately responsible for the cost of your care. In most instances, insurance will reduce this cost, but not eliminate it completely. We will do our best to ensure that you receive maximum benefits under your contract. Our staff will estimate your insurance coverage for a particular service based upon our experience with your carrier. We will also estimate your financial responsibility. Our estimates are always in good faith, and your cooperation is always appreciated.
- Co-Payment: All co-payments are payable when you check in at the front desk.
- HMO Patients: If a patient comes to us with a problem that they expect to be covered by medical insurance, (biopsies, tumors, infections, deformities) they must have a referral from their primary care physician. A referral from a dentist is not adequate for medical insurance coverage. Obtaining a medical referral is the Patient’s responsibility. We cannot obtain the referral for you, and the referral cannot be obtained retroactively. If you do not have a referral, we will be happy to see you on a cash basis, but your medical insurance company will not pay for your treatment.
- Medicare Patients: Medicare pays us directly for your care. You are responsible for any deductible and coinsurance. If Medicare denies your procedure, you are responsible for the charges.
If you have any problems or questions, please ask our staff. They are well informed and up-to-date. Please call if you have any questions or concerns regarding your initial visit.
Conditions for Treatment
We strongly feel that all patients deserve from us the VERY best medical/dental care that we can provide. Further, we feel that everyone benefits when definitive financial arrangements are agreed upon.
Please read the following:
Assignment of Benefits:
- I authorize this office to release or receive any information necessary to expedite insurance claims.
- I authorize this office to bill my insurance company directly for their services.
- I authorize payment directly to Thomas B. Padgett, D.M.D. of any insurance benefits otherwise payable to me.
This office participates in Medicare, and we agree to accept Medicare approved charges. However, you should realize that Medicare may determine that a particular service, although it would otherwise be covered by medical/dental insurance, is “not considered reasonable and necessary” under Medicare program guidelines. Therefore, Medicare may deny payment for any of the following reasons:
- The procedure is considered dental surgery.
- The procedure involves treatment of the teeth or gums
- The procedure involves treatment of the supporting tissue of the teeth or gums.
The patient is hereby informed in accordance with Section 32.1-45.1 of the code of Virginia, 1950 as amended, that if the provision of health care services to you at our office directly exposes any person or health care provider, to the patient’s body fluids in any manner which may transmit immunodeficiency virus or HIV or Hepatitis B or C virus, then the patient shall be deemed to have consented to testing for infection and to release the results of such tests to the health care provider.
I understand I am fully responsible to Dr. Padgett for charges not covered by insurance or Medicare. I assume responsibility for all charges provided on my behalf or any of my dependents. An interest rate of 1.5% is added to any remaining balances after 60 days.
In the event my account is referred to an attorney for collection, I agree to pay attorney’s fees in the amount of 33.3% of the total balance due, as well as all court costs associated with the collection of my account. There will be a $30.00 charge on all returned checks.